With the abundance of apples available this season,
try something new and grill them for dessert or as a side dish to pork!
You can experiment and grill any apple that you have at home (or pick from the tree!) but we suggest starting with a type that really holds up to the heat. Granny Smith or Honeycrisp are better than something like a Red Delicious.
Another tip is to uniformly slice the apples so that they cook through and develop a nice sear, but don’t require too long on the grill that they turn too soft. We recommend slices that are ¼ inch thick to begin. When grilling apples, you don’t have to remove the peel.
Easy Grilling Instructions:
- Wash, core and slice apples.
- Soak in 1 part water and ½ part lemon juice while you get the grill ready. This helps prevent the apples from browning.
- Preheat the grill to medium and lightly brush with oil.
- Cook apple slices for about 5 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
If serving apple slices as a dessert, you can sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar and serve with vanilla ice cream.
For use as a side dish with pork, try brushing maple syrup before removing them from the grill.
Grilled apples can be used in a variety of ways and best of all, they are super simple!
Want to try this recipe? Harding The Fireplace carries
a selection of quality grills that are perfect.
Harding The Fireplace serves the grilling needs of the greater Ottawa area. Our expert staff are always more than happy to help you find the perfect grill or accessory to step up your grill game.