- Posted by admin
- On January 15, 2020
- 0 Comments
- fireplace, Fireplace Maintenance, fireplace tips, Harding The Fireplace, Ottawa, Safety
When it’s cold outside, there’s nothing better than lighting a fire inside. The warmth and ambiance from a wood-burning or gas fireplace can help you forget about the blustery, cold weather. To ensure maximum comfort and safety, always follow these fireplace safety tips.
Wood Burning Fireplace Safety Tips
- Make sure the damper or flue is open before starting a fire. Do not close the damper or flue until all the embers have been extinguished.
- Only use dry, aged wood for burning as other material can cause smoke or soot buildup in the chimney.
- Always clean out ashes from previous fires. Learn how to reuse wood ash from your wood-burning fireplace.
- Have your chimney inspected annually, ideally before first using it for the season.
- Never leave a fire unattended and make sure the area surrounding the fireplace is clear of anything flammable.
Gas Fireplace Safety Tips
- Know the clearance zone for your fireplace and keep paper, drapes, books and other flammable items away from the firebox.
- Ensure that your fireplace is in good working order with an annual tune-up.
- Always follow manufacturer recommendations when cleaning the glass. Never wipe the glass with a wet cloth when it’s on or just been used—it could cause cracking in the glass.
- Never leave the gas fireplace unattended while it is on.
Safely enjoy your fireplace this winter season! If you have any questions about your fireplace or are interested in installing a gas or wood-burning fireplace, visit us at our Carp showroom!
At Harding The Fireplace, we only sell the best home heating brands on the market. With our wide selection, we can help you choose the right product that will fit your specific needs and stay within your budget.