This weekend, why not barbecue your breakfast of champions instead with this incredible Grilled French Toast recipe. Not only is it super simple, but it tastes absolutely incredible. Plus, we don’t think there’s a better way to start your day than by enjoying your hot cup of coffee while getting in some grilling time.
This recipe makes enough for two people, so multiply as necessary.
- 4 large slices of crusty bread, roughly ¾” thick if possible
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of milk, ideally with a fat content of 2% or more
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons of butter if you’re using a griddle
- Maple syrup
- Fresh fruit of your choice
- In a large flat-bottomed bowl or dish, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar, and nutmeg.
- Whisk the mixture until the cinnamon clumps break up and disperse.
- Set the mixture aside until you’re ready to grill.
- Slice the bread to your desired thickness if it’s not sliced already.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Once the grill has reached the desired temperature, ensure you thoroughly clean the grates if you aren’t using a griddle or skillet.
- After you clean the grilling grates, lightly brush them with oil, but be careful not to use too much as it will flare-up. Place a dollop of butter onto your griddle if you’ve chosen to use that method.
- Dip a slice of bread into the egg mixture and flip it. Ensure both sides are thoroughly coated with the mixture.
- Place the coated slice of bread onto the grill and flip it after roughly two minutes or once the bread has started to brown.
- Remove the French toast from the grill once both sides are lightly browned, and the inside has cooked through.
- Repeat this process until all of your slices are cooked.
- Shut off the grill and plate your delicious grilled French toast with some fresh fruit and maple syrup.
Pro Tip – Lightly dust your grilled French toast with powdered sugar and a small dollop of whip cream for a true restaurant brunch experience.
This grilled French toast recipe will quickly become a favourite at your breakfast table, but we should warn you like any recipe, once you’ve tried it on the grill, you’ll never want it any other way!
Want to try more delicious meals like this one? Check out our recipes page!
Harding The Fireplace has Ottawa’s grill needs covered with over 4,500 square feet of retail showroom stocked with the brands you know and love. Our knowledgeable staff is here to work with you to find quality products that suit your lifestyle.