Soup on the barbecue? Yes, you read it right, and once you try this delicious grilled tomato soup, you may never make it any other way!
- 3 pounds (1.3 kg) of ripe tomatoes
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ cup of fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup of chopped dried sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 tbsp of olive oil (keep 1 tbsp separate for sautéing)
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash of Tabasco or your favourite hot sauce (use more if you like your soup spicy)
- Combine 3 tablespoons of olive oil with salt and pepper.
- Cut the tomatoes in half vertically.
- Lightly brush the cut side with your olive oil mixture and save the remainder of the mixture for later.
- Clean your grill and preheat it to medium-high heat.
- Place the tomatoes on the grill cut side down for 3-4 minutes with the grill lid closed.
- Remove the tomatoes from the grill once they are browned, and the skin has loosened.
- Turn off your grill and set the tomatoes aside to cool.
- Once the tomatoes have cooled enough to handle, remove the skins and seeds.
- Chop the shallot and mince the cloves of garlic.
- Heat a small skillet to medium heat with one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Sauté the shallots for roughly 3 minutes or until translucent, and then add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the shallots and garlic from the pan and place them in a blender with the tomatoes, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, remaining olive oil mixture, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.
- Blend until smooth, and add a bit of water or low-sodium vegetable broth if it is too thick.
- Heat the mixture in a pot on low, and serve.
Brush your favourite focaccia or freshly baked bread with olive oil and lightly toast it on your grill for a delicious alternative to soda crackers. You can even go one step further and grill up some delicious grilled cheese on the barbecue to pair with your grilled tomato soup.
This twist on a savoury winter favourite will keep your stomach full, and your heart warm all season long. Plus, who doesn’t love another excuse to fire up the grill?
Harding The Fireplace has Ottawa’s grill needs covered with over 4,500 square feet of retail showroom stocked with the brands you know and love. Our knowledgeable staff is here to work with you to find quality products that suit your lifestyle.