Guide To Smoking on a Charcoal Grill
We understand that every grill aficionado may not have the space, means, or desire to have a gas grill, a charcoal grill, and a smoker, but there’s no reason you can’t use the equipment you have to achieve different results. Charcoal grilling is excellent for cooking that requires a lot of intense direct heat, but did you know you can also use your charcoal grill for smoking?
Smoking on a charcoal grill is all about achieving indirect heat. If you follow these steps, you’ll be able to give your food an intense, authentic, smoky flavour only your charcoal grill can achieve!
- Fill your chimney starter to roughly a third of the way to the top and light it as you normally would.
- Once the coals are glowing and fully lit, carefully pour them on one side of the grill, or use a charcoal basket if you have one handy.
- Place a disposable foil pan on the other side of the grill and add 2 to 3 cups of water to the pan to start. (The water will help maintain a low temperature in the grill and prevents your food from drying out.)
- Wait for 30 minutes to an hour until the coals burn down to the ideal temperature for your cook and the water has heated up as well.
- Once the grill has reached the correct temperature, sprinkle damp wood chips or dried chunks on top of the coals.
- Place your cooking grate into the grill.
- Position your food over top of the pan side on the cooking grill, and place the cover on.
- Add more coals roughly every hour to maintain the heat and temperature.
If you follow these steps, you’ll master smoking on your charcoal grill in no time, and whether you’re grilling or smoking on your charcoal grill, don’t forget to follow these tips!
Extra Fuel – One of the worst things that can happen when you’re using a charcoal grill is running out of fuel. Always keep an extra bag on hand in a safe place.
Hands Off – Charcoal grilling is all about patience, so once your food is on the grill and the lid is shut, try your best not to open it again unless you need to add more charcoal or check the temperature.
Prepare – Charcoal grilling can be temperamental, so ensure you have all the supplies you need within reach and ready to go! Also, invest in a good pair of fireproof gloves because things can get pretty hot pretty quickly.
For all your charcoal and gas grilling needs,
Harding The Fireplace is the place to go!
Harding The Fireplace has Ottawa’s grill needs covered with over 4,500 square feet of retail showroom stocked with the brands you know and love. Our knowledgeable staff is here to work with you to find quality products that suit your lifestyle.