All About Kamado Smokers and Grills!
Harding The Fireplace is proud of our wide selection of products: from fireplaces and patio flames to every type of grill on the market. Often, when people come into our store (or use our virtual showroom!), they stop at the Kamado Smokers and Grills. The unique shape often elicits a number of questions from curious customers.
Here are the top 3 questions about Kamado Smokers and Grills:
#1 – What is it?
This is a bit of a complicated question. In Japan, a Kamado is a traditional wood or charcoal fueled stove or cooking range. Quite literally, kamado translates to “place for the cauldron.” What we use in North America is a portable type of Kamado called a “mushikamodo” in Japan and is usually a round clay pot with removable domed clay lid.
#2 – Is it a Smoker or Grill?
Both! Kamado Smokers and Grills are extremely versatile. They are excellent for grilling, smoking, roasting and baking. With a Kamado, you have precise airflow and temperature control in addition to extraordinary heat retention. Accessories can assist in cooking things like pizza or bread with ease!
#3 – What’s the Fuel Source?
Charcoal is the traditional fuel source for Kamado Smokers and Grills, but there have been attempts over the years to fuel them with gas, electricity or pellets. We still believe that pure charcoal is the best fuel for these amazing cooking appliances. Lump wood charcoal is the best because it creates little ash, can be manufactured in an environmentally sustainable manner and will not contaminate the food with any chemicals or additives.
There are many brands available on the market, but we’re proud to offer two of the best brands in the industry—Saffire and the Big Green Egg
The Saffire has some distinct advantages over other Kamados.
- Wider, thicker steel bands for greater strength.
- Wider ash dump area for decreased maintenance.
- Patent-pending wood chip access and feeder that eliminates having to remove food to add flavour chips while cooking.
- Choice of Bronze or Silver models in red or black with limited lifetime warranty on ceramic parts. The new Platinum model in blue comes with a limited lifetime warranty on both the ceramic and 304 stainless steel components—including the cart.
- Easy to read large thermometer and graduated bottom air control guide.
The Big Green Egg is one of the most recognizable Kamado brands and has a number of distinct features:
- Space-age ceramics and double-wall construction ensure it’s durable and fuel-efficient.
- Maintains precise temperatures to within a few degrees simply by adjusting the top and bottom vents.
- Radiant heat from all surfaces ensures exceptional results.
Harding The Fireplace Ltd. offers the best fireplaces, BBQ’s, Kamado smokers and accessories that you can’t get at a big box store. We invite you to come explore our showroom and choose for yourself.