Even though the summer is cooling down and you’ve already made many of the meals that you were planning on making this year, there’s always room for one more delicious recipe! Grilled pesto sandwiches are a favourite for easy summertime dinners that’ll impress your family and have them coming back for seconds!
- 1 French Baguette
- 1 Cup of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Of Butter
- 2 Bell Peppers Chopped Into Thin Slices
- Arugula (Optional)
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts
- ¼ Cup of Olive Or Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Of Lemon Zest
- 2 Tablespoons Of Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Of Dried Thyme
- ½ Tablespoon Of Dried Oregano
If you prefer not to make your own pesto, store-bought is fine!
- ⅓ Cup Of Raw Almonds
- ¼ Cup Of Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Cups Of Fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 Cloves Of Chopped Garlic
- ½ Cup Of Olive Oil
- Start by prepping your chicken. Take your two chicken breasts and put them in a large freezer bag, then pound the chicken with a meat tenderizer until it’s about ½ an inch thick.
- Prepare your chicken marinade by combining the olive oil, lemon zest, crushed garlic, thyme, and oregano in a bowl. Mix well.
- Pour your marinade in the bag with the flattened chicken and allow it to marinate in the fridge for anywhere between four and twelve hours.
- While your chicken is marinating, begin making your pesto by combining the almonds, parmesan, basil leaves, and chopped garlic in a food processor. Begin running the machine, slowly adding the olive oil as it mixes.
- Chop your bell peppers into thin slices, shred your mozzarella cheese, and cut your baguette in half lengthwise.
- Turn your grill on to medium heat.
- Place your chicken breasts on the grill and let them cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until you see fully cooked chicken with grill marks.
- Spread butter and pesto on both halves of your baguette.
- Place the two halves of your baguette on the grill as well, toasting them on both sides to how you prefer.
- Turn your toasted baguette slices face up, choose one side and spread your chopped bell pepper and shredded cheese generously on top.
- Place your grilled chicken on top; let the cheese melt under the chicken.
- Take both halves of the baguette off of the grill and add salt, pepper, and arugula on top of the sandwich.
- Put the top slice of baguette on the sandwich and cut it into even slices.
- Serve hot as either large sandwiches or small appetizers depending on how big or small you choose to cut the pieces of the baguette.
Looking for more reasons to fire up your grill?
Check out our recipes page!
Harding The Fireplace has Ottawa’s grill needs covered with over 4,500 square feet of retail showroom stocked with the brands you know and love. Our knowledgeable staff is here to work with you to find quality products that suit your lifestyle.